PS4 owners have used Reddit platform’s help to warn people to set their PS4 messages to friends only or to completely disable them because it was discovered recently that private messages which contained special characters could be a potential reason behind PS4 console crash.
It looks like the issue is severe and it forces users to reset their consoles to factory settings so that they function properly after the console crash. The impact of the crash is immediate and the message needn’t even be opened. When a user receives a notification about receiving a message, the PS4 triggers a crash in many instances.
Sony hasn’t responded about this issue as of now. It is quite likely that a PS4 system software update will be rolled out that will rectify the uncalled crash. Messages need to be sent in a private mode to prevent PS4 from a crash.
How to set PS4 Messages to Friends only
Directly from your PS4
- Go to Settings, and select the Account Management
- Now choose Privacy Settings
- Select Personal Info -> Messages
- Select the Friends Only or No One
From a web browser on your laptop or PC
- Go to PSN Privacy Settings Management page
- Sign in with your PS4 account details
- Choose Personal Info -> Messages
- Select the Edit button which is present next to the Messages button
- Select Friends Only or No One
This is the first ever time that a console’s messaging system has been exploited. A ton of big games will be out this year such as Red Dead Redemption 2, Fallout 76, and the recently released Call of Duty: Black Ops 4, which will definitely serve as a competition and a tough decision to choose between these.